March 10, 2009

Belly Dance Bio

I understand that you are curious about me, or at the very least me as a dancer. Well, as far as belly dance is concerned I walked into my first class in January of 2007. I came with a friend but in a state of mild protest, because I did not see how a crystal encrusted, stretch velvet wearing, midriff exposing dance would appeal to me. In that first class I found out very quickly that the beauty of belly dance is in the movement. Months passed by and I felt a greater sense of control over my physical being. I don't mean to imply it in a spiritual sense, but I felt stronger and more allied with my body. This connection is still with me today, and I don't care what day today may be for you the reader, because I can confidently say it is still with me.

In December 2007, I teamed up with Skye to take part in her dance project EV. Stylistically speaking EV is where belly dance and I merge, and I am lucky to have found a dance partner with similar interests and the same desire to explore them. Over the past couple years I have grown to appreciate belly dance in all its forms, and yes, I even see the beauty in the crystal encrusted dancers.

For me dance is a way to express and explore my different interests. This is accomplished through costume, choreography and, of course, music. I could say so many cliche things about belly dance and why it is important to me. I could call it my passion. I could call it my hobby. I could call it my art form. None of these things do it justice, and while they may be accurate, dance is first and foremost cathartic to me. Yes. Yes that is it. Catharsis. To me dance is a purging of emotions through art, a purification through self-expression, and an elimination of complexities.

1 comment:

Race said...

I always thought belly dancing was beautiful and amazing. A "I'll never be able to move like that" kind of thing. :D I'm glad you got into and are injoying it so much!!!