March 18, 2009

My Rant

I had my first job interview today, and admittedly I would like to work for the company. However the interview left me feeling deeply uncertain about how things are going to pan out.

First of all, the employer has not actually decided whether or not she is going to fire the person I would be replacing. I found this discovery mildly annoying. However she was pretty quick to say that she is considering opening up a new position even if she doesn't fire the girl. So the job may not even exist? Ummm...damn. That is just one level of uncertainty.

Secondly, she told me that if I have any other job offers to please come and talk to her first. So do they only want me if someone else also wants me? Or is she looking to hire me, but just doesn't want to tell me right away. I can't really say one way or another.

Also, she told me she has three other people she has to interview before she makes a decision. Ok, fine. Sure. Four people are being interviewed for a position that may or may not be available. However, she proceeded to tell me that I had very strong letter writing skills, and the best resume she had seen out of 100+ people she has had apply for this job in the past. Both very flattering, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if I don't get the job. Is having the best resume and the strong letter writing skills enough? Is it to much? After all, my last employer didn't want to hire me because I was "to intellectual". They said it, not me. I was blown away by them saying this, because pardon me for being old fashioned, but I think being smart is a desirable trait.

With respect to this interview. I don't know where it is going, or if it is going anywhere at all. She said she would call me on Monday to let me know. Then she said, no I will try to aim for Friday. Well... I guess all I can really do is wait to hear what she decides. Having said all of that I really liked her, I liked the office, I like the description of the position and the potential for growth.

There you have it. One interview down, and I survived. Although I am not entirely thrilled with the process so far. I pray for a quick end to this madness.

No comments: