March 16, 2009

The Huntress or The Hunted?

For the past 5 days I have been actively searching for a job. I am looking all over the place, but focusing my search on Downtown Vancouver. After a romp in the wild country of Saskatchewan the next logical step is to move to the City of Vancouver, isn't it? Honestly I decided to move out that way after talking to a friend and making some plans to become roommates in the big, bad city in a couple months.

I toyed with the idea of getting a job locally and saving up some money to move and then finding another job out that way. Seriously, how stupid would that be? Two job searches in this brutal economy? Forget it. Over the past five days I have applied for 30+ jobs and I have had two responses. My first interview is tomorrow and then I have another one the day after. Last time I was looking for a job I applied to one place and was hired. Times are changing. I have found that it is prudent to change with them.

I have had the greatest amount of success with allowing employers to come to me rather than searching for them. Why? Because if you grab their attention and they initiate contact you are in a pool of one...or at least few candidates for the position. If you run around like a fool applying for every job that suits your needs (like every one does including me) then you are in a pool of 100+ applicants vying for one measly position. See the logic behind baiting the employer to come to you? It works. You get a crack at an unadvertised position, and that is very beneficial in such a competitive job market.

I am looking forward to my interview tomorrow, and I am of course hopeful that my job search will be over and this one will be the one. I don't know much about the position, but i do know a little bit about the company from personal web research and I do believe that it would be the kind of environment that I would enjoy working in.

So, tonight I go to bed early, and tomorrow I get up very early (4:30 - 5:00 am) so that I can catch the first morning train to the city. Why? Because until I move out that way I will need to take the train to the city every weekday. It means I will be in Vancouver around 7 am for an interview that doesn't start until 2 pm, but I need to research my future transportation before I can completely decide to rely on it. The round trip is going to cost me about $20, so it is certainly not a free experiment. However it is necessary, and once I have a job I will buy a pass that allows me to travel at a much cheaper rate (though it will still be fairly pricey). That is why moving to the city will be necessary within a couple months. Not to mention how tiring a 1 hour commute there and 1 hour commute back is going to be. Although I have experienced worse. It used to take me 2 hours to get to my university from my house. That was a dreadful experience, and it resulted in me deciding that attendance was optional. That doesn't exactly work for a job, and a one hour commute is actually not bad at all in comparison. One hour is not ideal though so I will be moving, very soon.

Oddly enough, I have never been interested in the idea of moving to Vancouver. It never crossed my mind as something I could see myself doing. Then again neither did Saskatchewan, and we all know I did that. I suppose right now I am open to any change, and I certainly need to go where the opportunity is. In my opinion, Vancouver is the place to be at the moment. Go where the jobs are, and right now that is in the city. So here I go again, and honestly I am tired of all of this moving around. I haven't been settled in over 4 months, and it is starting to feel like an eternity. This next move is probably going to be the last one I make for quite sometime. So no worries future roommate I am in it for the long haul.

No comments: