February 6, 2009

I just want to call someone!

So here is the story, I ran out of toilet paper, and my dad is just a couple of streets over so I thought "hey I will call him and ask him to bring me some" Easy enough! Right? No, not the case. I dialed his number fifteen times, and the auto lady kept telling me the same thing..."the number you have dialed is a long distance number.....blah blah blah". So I entertained her proclamation and dialed a 1 in front of the number to which she barked "the number you have dialed is not a long distance number". COME ON LADY! Which is it? Make up your mind. So I puzzled over it for a moment...I am a pretty smart cookie in general... but this really stumped me for a couple minutes. But when toilet paper is on the line you need to figure things out... Finally it occurred to me why the auto-lady was rebelling against me... I was dialing a ten-digit number... she recognizes seven-digit numbers for local calls... I needed to drop the area code. I dialed and...SUCCESS!

In other words I made my first local phone call in this strange land, and nearly failed. However, my toilet paper is on its way and all is right with the world....no wait I see headlights... Aha! It has just arrived.

3 comments:

Symon said...

omg a tp emergency can make the smartest person a nervous wreck - i bet even Einstein would have crumbled under the pressure.

kudos to you for keeping a cool head ^__^

Race said...

I would have given up... but then I don't know how I could do that, since it is toilet paper we are talking about.

Shuttered Dimensions said...

Yes ladies know that when toilet paper is on the line we must persevere.